The City of Bangor has an exciting new career opportunity in the Water Quality Department for a Collections System Manager!
Some of the duties of this position include:
- Supervises, plans, assigns and directs manpower and material resources to maintain the daily operation and maintenance of the City Collection Systems.
- Directs department personnel, including hiring, assisting with training, and evaluating employee performance.
- Reviews department weekly payroll, including authorizing overtime, staff assignments and employee pay.
- Schedules and oversees operation of closed-circuit television sewer inspection system. Reviews and evaluates collected data and recommends appropriate rehabilitative measures, and/or necessary repairs.
- Regularly assists Code Enforcement, the Stormwater Department and Pretreatment Coordinator in problem resolution, trouble shooting, and enforcing local ordinances and Maine Plumbing Code.
- Works closely with the Engineering Department with coordination and oversight of contracted projects, 2015 EPA Consent Decree deliverables and the implementation of the Combined Sewer Overflow Long Term Control Plan.
- Performs in-field oversight of new construction, reconstruction, and maintenance projects including assessing needs, preparing cost estimates, field survey, layout, and design drawings.
- Coordinates installation and field maintenance of instantaneous and long-term electronic flow monitoring equipment; reviews data gathered and establishes prioritized rehabilitation schedule.
- Supervises, plans, assigns and directs sub-contractors on Collection Systems construction projects.
- Schedules regular inspections of sewer lines and other preventative maintenance operations as required to meet the City’s Capacity Management Operation and Maintenance Program and other regulatory compliance.
- Oversees approval and coordinates inspection of building connections/disconnections while maintaining location records.
- Investigates citizen complaints and inquiries regarding sewer services and initiates or executes appropriate action to resolve valid complaints.
- Assists with preparation of annual budget and capital expenditure requests, and administers budget upon approval.
- Evaluates collection systems facilities and equipment and recommends and/or implements capital improvements, as needed.
- Prepares equipment and material purchase specifications, creates/reviews proposals, and drawings, and makes appropriate recommendations to the Department Direc
- Participates in providing written reports to all State and Federal regulatory agencies including incident reports within mandated timeframe to DEP and EPA.
- Develops, maintains and coordinates training of safety procedures for sewer construction and maintenance.
- Assists other City Departments, contractors, and general public in locating underground utilities. Oversees and maintains both incoming and outgoing ‘Dig Safe’ requests.
- Attends seminars and conferences as required.
- Reports directly to the Director of Water Quality.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for the job should possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of sewer and stormwater construction, design, and maintenance procedures, and ability to perform both emergency and routine inspections and direct appropriate maintenance and repair.
- Practical knowledge of sewer and stormwater related federal, state, and local regulations, and ability to administer department within such guidelines.
- Ability to supervise, manage, and direct daily activities of Collection Systems Foreman and Collection System Technicians.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with department employees, regulatory agencies, contractors, other departments and members of the general public.
- Holds or has the ability to obtain within one year, certification as a Grade 4 Collection Systems Operator, NASCO PACP and MACP certifications and Class B CDL.
- Must be proficient using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, ArcGIS and asset management software.
Pay range is $29.22 to $39.25 per hour, based on 40-hour/week schedule.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Paid vacation days – up to 2 weeks in the first year
- Comp Time – Overtime can be converted to comp time for up to 80 additional hours paid time off
- Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays/year
- Sick days – up to 15 paid sick days/year
- Bonus Days – can earn bonus days for not using sick time
- Nine percent (9%) City retirement contribution (ask about our plan(s))
- Multiple Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance options available. City pays up to 80% of medical plan premiums and health insurance options include low deductible plans.
- Paid Long Term Disability coverage
If this sounds like the opportunity you have been looking for, you can download an application at https://www.bangormaine.gov/employ. The application can be printed and filled out or can be filled out and saved electronically. Applications will be accepted until June 15, 2022. Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Bangor!
Equal opportunity employer
CLICK HERE TO APPLY