The City of Bangor Community Connector (public transit/bus system) has an exciting opportunity for a Dispatcher position! The Dispatcher assists with the operations of dispatching transit personnel to ensure safe, timely transportation of the Community Connector passengers. This position also assists in the development and maintenance of bus routes and emergencies, as well as adjustments due to crashes, breakdowns, weather, or other problems that may arise as a result of providing transportation services. Please see a more detailed description below. This is a vital position which directly impacts the local community in a positive way and we would like you to become a part of the Community Connector team!
This full-time position (40 hours per week) will generally work 5am to 2pm, 5 days a week, providing opportunities for you to enjoy your afternoons and weekends! The position is currently Monday - Friday, but may include work on Saturdays as bus routes and business needs evolve.
You will be joining a seasoned team of transit professionals with a true dedication to serving their community. In addition, benefits of working for the City of Bangor include:
- Competitive pay of $20.68 to $27.80 per hour, with an opportunity for annual merit increases and cost of living adjustments.
- Great health insurance plans with low deductible options, a generous H.S.A option, and up to 80% of City-paid premiums.
- Groupe rates for dental, vision, supplemental, and life insurance plans.
- Two weeks of vacation and three weeks of sick leave within the first year of employment with an opportunity to increase vacation accruals with length of service
- 13 paid holidays
- Retirement plan with generous employer contribution
- Employee supports through EAP and Wellness initiatives.
Thank you in advance for your interest in employment with the City of Bangor! A completed City of Bangor application is required and can be completed via this link:
City of Bangor - Application for Employment (Page 1 of 7) (office.com)
This position will remain open until filled and interviews may be conducted as applications are received and reviewed. Questions regarding this position may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Bangor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Consideration for positions that you have applied for will be given without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical and mental disability, religion or creed, citizenship, veteran status, and other categories in certain contexts.
Some of the duties of this position include:
- Assists in the development and monitoring of transportation routes to improve safety and efficiency through a thorough knowledge of streets and geography.
- Maintains an up-to-date listing of buses and assigned drivers.
- Assures ready access to an up-to-date route sheet for each scheduled route.
- Assures that each scheduled route is appropriately covered by utilizing available relief or spare board and or seniority per union contract.
- Maintains an accurate daily attendance roster of drivers.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of all routes and driving State, Federal, and City of Bangor & Community Connector rules and regulations.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of routes, roads, and transit covered areas
- Assists with ADA Paratransit Program
- Ensures drivers clock their times accurately.
- Operates two-way radio base stations;
- Communicates with department employees, dispatching to needed locations to respond to routine requests or emergency situations.
- Monitors special equipment as assigned and maintain appropriate records.
- Maintains or assists in maintaining assigned files and records; receives and processes information according to established guidelines and procedures.
- Communicates with outside organizations, businesses, government organizations, local police and others as appropriate; communicates with other city employees as necessary.
- Communicates with department employees, riders, and other members of the community; receives requests, questions, concerns and suggestions and provides routine information and assistance or routes to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains current knowledge of routes and locations to assure timely services and accurate information.
- Performs a variety of administrative support duties as assigned; types correspondence, memos and other items; compiles data from clearly defined sources and prepares reports; answers telephone, routes calls or messages; prepares and processes requisitions; distributes mail.
- Operates standard office machines.
- Performs daily cash-up with supervisor.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Operations Officer and or Bus Superintendent.
An ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a transit environment & or dispatching; advanced computer skills; and experience with transit software programs helpful;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate personnel, communicate effectively, multitask and handle details, meet deadlines, work independently, facilitate cooperative liaisons;
- A valid Class B license with passenger and airbrake endorsements or ability to obtain one via City-provided training program or designated training program
- Must be able to communicate effectively in person, via phone, in writing, or via other mediums as needed
- Ability to pass and remain compliant with federal DOT/FTA Drug and Alcohol Testing Program requirements