Economic Development Officer
The City of Bangor is excited to announce a new opening for the Economic Development Officer, which serves as manager of the Economic Development Division and reports directly to the Director of Community and Economic Development.
Examples of duties include:
- Develops, in conjunction with the Community and Economic Development Director, and implements a comprehensive economic development strategy for the City which integrates marketing, advertising, financing, and other elements enabling the City to generate new job opportunities, increase business activity and create expanded property tax resources.
- Assigns division staff to activities to assure proper workflow and timely completion of assigned tasks and supervises and evaluates work product of department personnel.
- Coordinates division operations and programs with other divisions within the Community and Economic Development Department and local, state, and federal agencies and officials.
- Develop and manage the City's business retention, expansion and attraction strategies by representing the City in relationships with businesses and developers, in groups and organizations related to business and economic development, and occasional trade shows and missions as appropriate.
- Manage and develop mutually beneficial business and economic development relationships that deliver positive results for both the client and the City of Bangor.
- Provide support and outreach to existing Bangor businesses, staying up to date on industry and community needs.
- Works with state, regional, and local economic development agencies and groups working to attract, retain, and expand employment opportunities in the Bangor region.
- Manages and creates data collection on community and market resources of interest to existing and potential commerce and industry, including information regarding the local labor market, building space, land, utilities, and financing.
- Responds to inquiries, follows through on leads, participates in expositions and meets with Industrial, Business and Free Trade Zone prospects promoting economic development within the City.
- Designs and implements promotional and marketing plans for the Free Trade Zone status of the International Airport.
- Markets selected real estate properties, as assigned, including preparing standard forms and documents relating to sale and/or leases, conducts and participates in negotiations concerning properties, as assigned.
- Administers HOD Commercial and Industrial loan programs, including soliciting participation, preparing loan applications and gathering back ground information, presenting applications before Loan Review Committee, distributing loan monies and monitoring preparation of all financial records and documents.
- Establishes working relationships with citizen groups concerned with economic development projects and attends various civic group and public meetings to speak on behalf of the department and City.
- Manages BanAir Corporation oversees the corporation’s revenue and expenditure activities.
- Assists Community Development Division in residential and central business district redevelopment projects.
- Executes major research projects on specific topics, such as industrial parks impact and tourism.
- Develops and implements new financial assistance programs to generate economic development and jobs within the City.
- Prepares and submits various annual reports to appropriate officials and agencies.
- Prepares annual division budget request for consideration by Community and Economic Development Director and administers budget upon approval.
- Recommends policy and program initiatives to the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- Occasionally attends technical workshops and seminars and various community functions, such as groundbreaking ceremonies, open houses, grand openings and receptions.
- Performs related duties as assigned by Community and Economic Development Director.
An ideal candidate for the position will possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, Community Development or related field and relevant training and experience in industrial or commercial development.
- Five to ten years of experience in the field of economic development.
- Professional certification in economic development is preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of basic accounting, real estate, and financial management principles, practices, and techniques, and the ability to apply such knowledge to various public and private financial assistance programs.
- Understanding of federal grants and related programs and their application to urban development.
- Ability to analyze and interpret a wide variety of data and information, drawing appropriate inferences and conclusions. Ability to express thoughts and ideas in a clear and effective manner, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the general public, community leaders, developers, business owners, and local, state, and federal officials.
- Ability to travel to locations within the City.
Pay range is $32.41 - $43.52 per hour and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Applications must be received at the Human Resources Office, Bangor City Hall, 73 Harlow Street, Bangor, Maine 04401. A new online/mobile-friendly application is now available at: City of Bangor - Application for Employment (Page 1 of 7) (office.com) . Applications will be received until the position is filled and interviews may be scheduled after applications are reviewed. Thank you for your interest!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER