For Immediate Release
May 28, 2020
Contact: Debbie Laurie, Finance Director
City Hall to Reopen to the Public for In-Person Services and by Appointment Beginning June 1
BANGOR, MAINE—In keeping with Governor Mills’ plan for a phased reopening of the state, the City of Bangor will reopen City Hall to some in-person services and some services by appointment beginning June 1, 2020.
Citizens will be able to access the City Clerk office and Code Enforcement office for in-person services during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Social distancing will be required within City Hall, and the pedestrian traffic pattern will be one-way on the first floor to meet this need.
All other departments in City Hall will offer in-person services by appointment only for the time being. For all departments other than City Clerk and Code Enforcement, please call or email prior to your arrival to schedule an appointment. A full directory of City contacts can be found at www.bangormaine.gov/directory.
Parking is available for citizens accessing City Hall in the small lot next to the side entrance of the building. There is a ballot drop-off box in the parking lot for all absentee ballots. The lobby at City Hall remains open for citizens to drop off payments or paperwork for other offices.
Visitors to City Hall are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering, and should limit themselves to one person per transaction when possible. At this time City Hall will be open for Code and Clerk transactions only and not for any additional services. Visitors should exit the building after conducting their transactions to allow room for other citizens.
Additional information on City of Bangor facilities reopening as of June 1, 2020:
- City Clerk office open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Marriage license applications by appointment only. No marriages performed on site.
- Genealogy limited to written submission only.
- Taxi cab owners must drop off paperwork, and staff will reach out when complete.
- Code Enforcement office open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Remote permitting continues.Park
- Inspections of occupied properties continues.
- No yard sale permits will be issued for the time being.
- Treasury open at the Cross Insurance Center. Please use the Southwest Entrance to access Treasury, which can be found off of Buck Street. Hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The hour from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. each day is dedicated to senior citizens and individuals with compromised immune systems.
- All other departments open by appointment only. Applications for Human Resources can be completed and submitted online; no need to visit the office to pickup or deliver.
Parks & Recreation
- Public access to the Parks & Rec Center building at 647 Main Street will be via the Farm Road entrance. Staff will monitor the door to allow access one at a time.
- Bangor Municipal Golf Course: club house, practice green, short game area, and driving range are open to the public. There are restrictions for the use of these areas which will be posted on the Golf Course website at www.bangorgc.com. Hero’s at Bangor Muni will open on June 3rd based on current guidelines and restrictions.
- Pools: Staff is finalizing opening plans and procedures to open the Beth Pancoe Aquatic Center as well as the Dakin Pool. Those facilities are planned for opening at the end of June.
Many additional City facilities will open their lobbies to the public for transactions beginning June 1st. Please call before visiting to confirm. We will provide additional information here as it is available.