FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 27, 2023
City of Bangor Contact:
Courtney O’Donnell, Assistant City Manager
City of Bangor Announces Temporary Relocation to Penquis Building for City Hall Remodel
BANGOR, Maine – The City of Bangor City Hall will be temporarily relocating to the Penquis Building, 262 Harlow Street, Bangor, as part of comprehensive renovations of City Hall.
In order to facilitate a seamless transition and ensure the safety of our residents and employees during the renovation process, City Hall will be closed to the public on December 15, 2023.
City Hall services will be open for business at the Penquis Building on Monday, December 18, 2023. Access to services and public parking will be located behind the building, see attached map for details.
The City understand that this temporary closure may cause inconvenience, and we appreciate the community's understanding and cooperation during this period of improvement. The City of Bangor is committed to maintaining the highest standards of service and looks forward to unveiling a revitalized City Hall that better serves the needs of our residents.
“We look forward to welcoming the public into our temporary space at the Penquis building as we ensure essential services remain open and accessible. Your patience and cooperation are deeply appreciated throughout this journey as we update City Hall for an improved, upgraded experience for our citizens,” said Cara Pelletier, Bangor City Council Chair.
“There will be no interruption of Penquis services during this transition and Penquis welcomes the City to the building as well as residents accessing services,” stated Kara Hay, CEO, Penquis.
Key Information for Residents:
- Closure Date: City Hall will be closed to the public on Friday, December 15, 2023.
- Open Date for City Hall Services at Penquis Building: Monday, December 18, 2023.
- Temporary Location: Essential city services will be available at the Penquis Building, 262 Harlow Street, during the remodel.
- Duration: The closure is expected to last approximately 18 months with regular operations resuming at the renovated City Hall upon completion.
- Service Availability: While City Hall is closed, residents can still access essential services, including clerk, treasury, assessing, code, and more, at the Penquis Building. Please be warned the wait time may be longer as staff acclimate to the new space. Appointments may be necessary to procure certain documentation.
- Communication Channels: The City of Bangor will keep residents informed of updates and developments through official channels, including the city website, social media platforms, and government channel.
- Entrances: There are two separate entrances in the back of the building of Penquis for City use. One is for daily business and the other for meetings. Both entrances will be clearly marked appropriately.
- Penquis Transportation Services including accessing bus passes and bus tickets will now be accessed at the main entrance of Penquis.
NOTICE REGARDING PUBLIC MEETINGS
Beginning December 4, 2023 – Public Meetings will no longer be broadcast live on the Government Channel due to the relocation. City Council meetings will be scheduled to broadcast the day after at the same time the meeting occurred (e.g., City Council meeting on Monday at 7:30pm will be broadcast Tuesday at 7:30pm).
Additionally, the City will be transitioning from live streaming on Facebook to YouTube (City of Bangor - YouTube) beginning December 4, 2023.
Citizens will continue to have remote participation access for City meetings through Zoom and are also welcome to attend in-person.
The City Council can also be reached through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE