Zone Change Application
Land Development Code Amendment (Zone Change) Procedures
A. The Bangor Land Development Code Requires:
- Applications (download below) for zoning amendment must be filed in the Planning Division Office at City Hall (with necessary advertising and processing fees).
- A Council Ordinance containing the proposed zoning amendment will be drawn up by the Planning Office and placed on the Council Agenda.
- A public hearing must be scheduled to be held by the Planning Board on the proposed amendment (the City Council can take no action until after the Planning Board hearing and report).
- A notice of the public hearing must be placed in a newspaper at least 14 days prior to the hearing. A notice must be mailed to owners of abutting property within 100 feet of the property subject to rezoning action.
- Recommendations to the City Council must be approved by a majority of all members of the Board present and voting.
- After receipt of the Planning Board recommendation, the City Council must act on the zone change request. (However, a proposed amendment which has been disapproved by the Planning Board may only be enacted by a 2/3 vote of the City Council).
- A zone change request must be received by the Planning Office at least three weeks prior to the time of the Planning Board meeting at which the hearing will be held (because of the time required for placement of legal advertisements in the newspaper and initiation of the request on the City Council Agenda).
- The Planning Board routinely meets twice a month on the first and third Tuesday at 7:00 PM and the City Council meets twice a month on the second and fourth Monday at 7:30 PM (except holidays).
You will receive notice of the public hearings held by the Planning Board. After the Planning Board has voted on its recommendation to the City Council concerning your application, the City Council will consider your application. You will not receive formal notice of the City Council meeting. If you have any questions regarding the status of your application, you should contact the Planning Office, City Hall, 992-4280.
Application for Land Development Code and Map Amendment (Zone Change)
73 Harlow Street, Bangor, ME 04401
Second floor, City Hall
Staff available by appointment
Or via phone or email
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.